California Walnut Spelt Soda Bread – Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen
This California walnut and spelt soda bread from Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen is delicious served warm from the oven, or an ideal accompaniment to a hearty soup or stew. With the mild, creamy flavour and the added crunch of California walnuts throughout, this is a satisfyingly simple bake.
Servings 8 Servings
- 220 ml dairy-free milk Why not try making your own California walnut alternative? Find the recipe here
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 100 g California walnuts ground
- 340 g spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp date syrup
- 50 g California walnuts roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- Add the dairy-free milk to a jug and mix in the apple cider vinegar, then leave to one side for 10 minutes.
- Place the ground California walnuts into a large bowl, then sieve in the spelt flour, baking soda and salt, and mix together.
- Pour in the dairy-free milk and apple cider mixture and the date syrup, then knead into a dough. Add the chopped California walnuts and knead again to evenly distribute, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured board and form into a large loaf.
- Place onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Dust the top with some flour and cut a cross over the top of the bread. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Serving: 76.4g | Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 30.9g | Protein: 8.9g | Fat: 14.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.7g | Fibre: 2.9g | Sugar: 2.6g
Salt: 0.54g. Recipe developed for California Walnut’s and reproduced with the kind permission of Nadia's Healthy Kitchen.