California Walnut, Tomato & Tofu Quiche – Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen
Perfect to prep ahead and eat throughout the week, this plant-based take on a quiche has a crumbly pastry base with a mild, creamy flavour from the California walnuts and buckwheat. Topped with sweet baby tomatoes, the roasted California walnut halves and basil leaves, this a fresh and flavoursome lunch option.
Servings 6 Servings
For the crust
- 100 g oat flour plain oats blended into a flour in the food processor - use gluten-free oats if allergic/intolerant
- 70 g California walnuts ground
- 50 g buckwheat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp dairy-free spread melted
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling
- 250 g firm tofu
- 50 g California walnuts ground
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp vegan red pesto
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk Why not try making your own California walnut alternative? Find the recipe here
- 200 g mixed baby tomatoes halved
- 40 g California walnuts roughly chopped
- Small handful of fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/400°F.
- To make the crust, mix together the oat flour, ground California walnuts, buckwheat flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour in the melted dairy-free spread and 2 tbsp of cold water and mix. You should end up with a crumbly dough that holds together when pressing between your fingers. Add more water if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
- Press the dough into a lightly oiled non-stick tart pan (I used a 36 x 12cm rectangular pan, but you can use a round tart pan) ensuring you press up the sides of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- To make the quiche filling, place the tofu into a cheesecloth bag (or a fine absorbent towel) and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Transfer the tofu to a food processor and add in the ground walnuts, onion, garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, vegan pesto, and dairy-free milk. Blend until smooth.
- Spread the filling into the crust and top with the halved tomatoes and chopped walnuts. Bake again for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with the fresh basil to serve. Enjoy!
Serving: 157g | Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 22.9g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 31.2g | Saturated Fat: 4.6g | Fibre: 5g | Sugar: 4g
Salt: 0.69g. Recipe developed for California Walnut’s and reproduced with the kind permission of Nadia's Healthy Kitchen.