Edd Kimber’s California Walnut and Fig Cake
Whip up this zesty, fruity cake from Edd Kimber to impress your friends – or take into the office and become everybody’s favourite colleague. With a nutty sponge, and topped with crunchy California walnuts, a creamy vanilla mascarpone mix and fresh fruit, this bake is too tempting to pass on.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 8 Slices
- 225 g unsalted butter room temperature
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 35 g honey
- Zest of two oranges
- 4 large eggs
- 70 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 200 g California walnuts finely ground
- 250 g double cream cold
- 125 g mascarpone cold
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 oranges
- 3 figs
- Handful of California walnut halves
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (160°C fan) and lightly grease a 9-inch round cake pan, lining the base with parchment paper.
- Place the butter, sugar, honey and orange zest into a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until fully combined before adding another.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and the California walnuts, then add to the butter mixture and gently fold together to combine. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until the cake is coming away from the sides of the pan and springs back to a gentle press of a finger. Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To finish the cake, place the cream into a large bowl and whisk until just about holding its shape but only just. Add the mascarpone, vanilla bean paste and zest of the oranges and whisk together until soft and pillowy. Spread this over the top of the cake. To finish, top the cake with orange segments, slices of fig and a few halved California walnuts. You could also drizzle over a little extra honey if you fancy.
Serving: 1Slice | Calories: 791kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.3g | Protein: 11.3g | Fat: 69.9g | Saturated Fat: 32.8g | Fibre: 2.6g | Sugar: 23.9g
Salt: 0.65g. Without the topping the cake will keep for about 3 days but once topped with the cream and fresh fruit it’s best served that day. Recipe developed for California Walnut’s and reproduced with the kind permission of Edd Kimber (Boy Who Bakes).