California Walnut Sticky Buns
These nutty, sticky buns from Edd Kimber are the perfect elevenses snack paired with a piping hot cup of tea. With a crunchy California walnut top, warming cinnamon, and zesty orange these indulgent buns are a real crowd pleaser.
- 500 g bread flour
- 30 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 g fast action dried yeast
- 300 ml whole milk
- 75 g unsalted butter melted
- Zest of 1 large orange
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 large egg
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100 g unsalted butter very soft
- 100 g California raisins or sultanas
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 150 ml double cream
- 25 ml water
- 200 g California walnuts roughly chopped
- To make the dough place the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together to combine. In a jug whisk together the wet ingredients. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Use your hands to mix together into a dough. Tip out onto the work surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place into a large bowl and cover with clingfilm, setting aside for an hour or so until doubled in size.
- Mix together the light brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling. Whilst the dough is rising, prepare the topping. Place the butter and sugar into a saucepan and heat until melted and come to a simmer. Add the cream and allow to cook until simmering again. Remove the heat and add the water, stirring to combine. Grease a 12x7 inch brownie tin and line with a strip of parchment paper. Pour the top layer into the tin and scatter over the California walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan). Once the dough has risen, tip it out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out into a rectangle roughly 40x50cm. Spread the butter evenly over the dough and sprinkle over the sugar mixture, followed by the sultanas. Rolling along the long edge, roll into a spiral leaving you with a long sausage shaped log. Using a serrated knife cut into 12 equal slices. Place the buns, cut side up, into the prepared tin onto the top layer. Lightly cover the buns with a kitchen towel or clingfilm and allow to rise again for about 45 minutes or until the buns have almost doubled.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before turning the buns out onto a platter. Serve whilst still a little warm.
Serving: 145g | Calories: 710kcal | Carbohydrates: 78.1g | Protein: 8.7g | Fat: 42.5g | Saturated Fat: 20.4g | Fibre: 3.1g | Sugar: 44.4g
Salt: 0.52g. Recipe developed for California Walnut’s and reproduced with the kind permission of Edd Kimber (Boy Who Bakes).