Yoghurt Salad with Grapes, Cucumber and California Walnuts
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cucumber
- 250 g Greek yoghurt
- 4 slender spring onions finely shredded
- 50 g California Walnuts roughly chopped
- 8-10 mint leaves finely shredded
- 250 g small seedless green grapes
- Put the cumin seeds in a frying pan set over a medium heat and toast for 1-2 minutes, taking care not to burn them.
- Transfer to a pestle and mortar with the salt and roughly grind, then set aside.
- Peel half the skin off the cucumber in lengthways strips, creating a striped effect. Halve the cucumber lengthways, scoop out and discard the seeds and dice the flesh. Transfer to a sieve suspended over the sink, sprinkle with more salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the cucumber, squeeze out more moisture with your hands and transfer to a bowl with the yoghurt. Add the spring onions and most of the walnuts, mint and grapes, and stir to combine. Season to taste with the cumin salt and black pepper.
- Spoon on to small plates or into shallow bowls, then scatter a pinch or 2 of cumin salt and the remaining walnuts, mint and grapes. Serve lightly chilled with bread as a starter, or at room temperature with grilled fish.
To unlock 10% off your annual subscription to Food and Travel, simply enter code ‘FTCW22’ when subscribing via foodandtravel.com/subscribe.