Bacon & Walnut Cornbread
Servings 1 loaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers smoked back bacon diced
- 150 g polenta
- 150 g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 medium egg
- 284 ml tub buttermilk
- 50 g butter melted
- 195 g can sweetcorn drained
- 100 g California Walnuts roughly chopped, plus 25g walnuts
- 75 g mature Cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin.
- Heat the oil and fry the bacon in a small frying pan for 3-4 minutes until golden, allow to cool and drain if needed.
- Meanwhile, mix together the polenta, flour, ½ tsp salt and the raising agents in a large bowl. Mix the egg, buttermilk and melted butter together and stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in the cooked bacon, sweetcorn, 100g walnuts and cheese. Spoon into the prepared tin and sprinkle with remaining roughly chopped walnuts, bake for 45 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean. Cool slightly before removing from the tin.
- Great served warm with soup or cold leftover Christmas meats.
Serving: 107g | Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6.3g | Fibre: 1.9g | Sugar: 3g