Beetroot and California Walnut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Servings 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 170 g vacuum-packed cooked beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 140 ml walnut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 170 g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 70 g soft brown sugar
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped California walnuts
For the caramelised California walnuts:
- 60 g white caster
- 1 ½ tbsp liquid glucose
- 12 California walnut halves
For the frosting:
- 125 g butter
- 125 g cream cheese
- Splash of milk
- 250 g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the beetroot, eggs, walnut oil and vanilla essence into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, soft brown sugar and golden caster sugar into a large bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry with an electric hand whisk until fully combined. Stir the chopped California walnuts into the batter.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases and divide the cake batter between the cases. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until risen and cooked through, then leave aside to cool.
- Place the white caster sugar and liquid glucose into a small pan over a medium heat, swirling the pan from time to time until the sugar liquefies and turns a lovely golden caramel colour.
- Carefully dip the California walnut halves into the caramel, removing them individually with a spoon, and placing them on a sheet of baking parchment making sure they are separated. Leave aside to cool down.
- To make the frosting, place the butter into a large mixing bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until white and fluffy. Add the icing sugar, cream cheese and milk and whisk until just combined.
- Fit a piping bag with a large open nozzle and pipe a circle of icing on the top of each. Top each cupcake with a caramel-coated walnut to serve.
Serving: 1Cupcake | Calories: 477kcal | Carbohydrates: 57.1g | Protein: 4.4g | Fat: 27.3g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Fibre: 1.4g | Sugar: 44.2g