Calfornia Walnut Crusted Vegan Bread
Servings 12 slices
- 250 g whole California walnuts
- 150 g wholemeal flour
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 250 ml dairy alternative milk such as oat milk
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC / Gas Mark 4 and grease an 8 ½ by 4 ½-inch loaf pan. Set it aside.
- Whisk together the dairy alternative milk and cider vinegar in a jug, and set it aside for 5 minutes to turn into "buttermilk"
- Place 200g of the California walnuts in a blender and blend until you the walnuts are ground. Then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Sieve the two flours, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in the bowl, and mix together very well. Make a well in the centre of the bowl.
- Slowly pour the buttermilk into the well of the dry ingredients, using your free hand to mix the flour into the buttermilk, try and spread your fingers far apart so it resembles a trough. Make sure that there are no dry patches and that the dough is completely wet.
- Pour the bread mixture in to the prepared loaf tin.
- Roughly chop the remaining 50g of whole walnuts, sprinkle on top of the bread, using your hand to gently push them into the mixture.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the top is starting to brown, but the inside is still soft, you can cover the top with tinfoil.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 6.6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1.7g | Fibre: 3.2g | Sugar: 1.6gBack to Recipe Search