California Walnut and Kale Salad with Grilled Salmon
This salad is an omega powerhouse, starring California walnuts and salmon fillets. The crunch of the California walnuts adds essential texture to this dish and the subtle, nutty flavour pairs beautifully with the flavour of oily fish such as salmon and anchovies. The smoky dressing enhances the flavour of the walnuts, showcasing their creamy-nuttiness, which ties in beautifully with the salmon.
Servings 4 people
- 150 g kale stalks removed and roughly chopped
- 3 lemons
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 anchovies
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 salmon fillets
- 120 g California walnuts toasted and roughly chopped
- 150 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 40 g parmesan grated
- Place the kale into a large mixing bowl and squeeze over the juice of one lemon, sprinkle with the salt and toss together to coat the leaves, then leave to one side.
- Next, muddle the anchovies in a pestle and mortar with the walnut oil, then set aside.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, maple syrup and smoked paprika. Place the salmon fillets skin side up on a baking tray lined with foil and brush with the soy mixture.
- Cut the remaining lemons in half and place next to the salmon fillets. Grill skin side up for 3-4 minutes, then flip the fillets and grill for a further 3-4 minutes, or until tinged golden brown.
- While the salmon is grilling, toss the California walnuts, tomatoes and parmesan together and add to the dressed kale, then stir the walnut oil and anchovy dressing through the salad.
- Divide the kale salad between four plates and top with the salmon and griddled lemon to serve.
Serving: 278g | Calories: 642kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.3g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 51.1g | Saturated Fat: 8.7g | Sodium: 553.67mg | Fibre: 4.2g | Sugar: 6.8g