California Walnut Christmas Tarts
Servings 12 tarts
For the pastry:
- 50 g California Walnuts
- 200 g plain flour
- 125 g butter or reduced fat spread diced
- 1 medium egg yolk
For the filling:
- 150 g California Walnuts + 12 walnut halves for garnish
- 25 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200 g cranberry sauce
- 2 medium eggs
- Zest 1 orange
- 50 g dried cranberries
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- To make the pastry, place the walnuts in a food processor and blitz until fine, add the flour and butter and process to give breadcrumbs. Mix in the egg yolk and 2-3 tbsp water until the mixture comes together. Knead lightly, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In the same food processor, blitz the walnuts until fine, add the icing sugar, cinnamon, cranberry sauce, eggs and orange zest and mix again until combined, stir in the dried cranberries.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and cut out 12 x 10cm circles, pressing them into a 12 hole muffin tin. Cut out 12 stars approx. the diameter of the pastry cases. Divide the filling between the pastry cases, top with a star and then a walnut half. Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Dust with a little icing sugar to serve.
Serving: 73g | Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6.5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3.3g | Fibre: 2g | Sugar: 12g
Cook’s tip Great served warm with brandy butter or whipped cream. To save time, use shop bought shortcrust pastry.