California Walnut Ice Cream with Caramel Sauce
- 125 g California Walnut Pieces
- 600 ml double cream
- 400 ml whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 6 medium egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar
- 200 g salted caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Place the walnuts on a baking tray and roast for 5-6 minutes, allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the cream, milk and vanilla in a large saucepan and heat to just below boiling point.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a large bowl until pale and thickened. Gradually whisk in the hot milk mixture until combined and pour back into the saucepan.
- Cook the custard mixture on a medium-low heat, stirring continuously until it thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Chop 25g roasted walnuts and stir into the caramel sauce and set aside. Place half of the remaining walnuts in a small food processor and blitz until smooth, chop the rest and stir both into the cooled custard mixture.
- Transfer to a freezer proof container and freeze for 1 hour. Mash with a fork to mix and refreeze for a further hour and repeat until frozen.
- Warm the caramel sauce and serve with the ice cream.
Serving: 132g | Calories: 472kcal | Carbohydrates: 13.7g | Protein: 4.4g | Fat: 43.6g | Fibre: 0.5g | Sugar: 13.6g