California Walnut Oatcakes with Apple Walnut Chutney
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Servings 12 oatcakes
- Apple & Walnut Chutney:
- 800 g Bramley apples peeled, cored and diced
- 350 g light brown soft sugar
- 100 g California Raisins
- 150 g California Walnut Halves
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 350 ml cider vinegar
- Walnut Oatcakes:
- 50 g California Walnut Halves
- 100 g medium oatmeal
- 75 g wholemeal plain flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 75 g butter diced
- To serve: Cheddar and blue cheeses
- Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark Grease 1-2 baking trays.
- Place all the chutney ingredients in a large heavy based saucepan. Season, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the liquid has reduced and the fruit is soft. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the oatcakes. Place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the oatmeal, flour and salt and pulse to mix evenly. Add the butter and process until the mixture is just beginning to come together. Add 1-2 tbsp water and mix again to give a soft dough but not sticky.
- Roll out on a floured surface to 3mm thickness and using a 7cm round cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Place on the baking trays and cook for 15 minutes until just turning golden. Allow to cool slightly before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Serve the oatcakes with the chutney and a selection of cheese.
Serving: 24g | Calories: 132kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.9g | Protein: 2.5g | Fat: 8.8g | Saturated Fat: 3.7g | Fibre: 1.5g | Sugar: 0.2g
Salt - 0.10g Cooks tip The chutney will last for 2-3 weeks if put into sealed sterilized containers when still warm.