California Walnut Pesto with Tenderstem and Whole Wheat Spaghetti
With California walnut pesto and whole wheat spaghetti, this easy pasta dish is packed with fibre and will keep the whole family happy - perfect for lunch or a quick, simple dinner option.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Servings 2 People
- 140 g whole wheat spaghetti
- 100 g tenderstem broccoli
- ½ garlic clove
- 25 g California walnuts toasted, plus a few extra to garnish
- 10 g basil
- 10 g fresh mint leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 25 g vegetarian parmesan
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small courgette spiralized
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions, adding in the broccoli towards the end of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile grind the garlic, walnuts, basil, mint and salt in a pestle and mortar until you have smooth paste.
- Grate in the parmesan, then stir in the extra virgin olive oil, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Drain the pasta and tenderstem, setting aside 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Add a little of the pasta water to the pesto to loosen the mixture to a good consistency.
- Toss the pasta with the spiralized courgette allowing the residual heat to wilt it slightly, mix in the pesto, and sprinkle over a few extra chopped walnuts to serve.
Calories: 599kcal | Carbohydrates: 51.7g | Protein: 18.8g | Fat: 36.6g | Saturated Fat: 6.9g | Fibre: 11.5g | Sugar: 5.1g