Cauli-rice and California Walnut Crusted Egg Buddha Bowl
Looking for a low carb option? We’ve got you covered. With spicy cauli-rice, warming harissa tomatoes, a walnut encrusted egg and crispy kale, this buddha bowl is packed with nutrients – and flavour!
Servings 2 People
For the cauli-rice:
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 x 210g tin of chickpeas
For the tomatoes:
- 2 tsp harissa
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 plum tomatoes
For the eggs:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 50 g California walnuts roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 50 g kale leaves
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare the cauliflower by removing the outer green leaves and discarding. Break into florets, place in a food processor and whizz in batches until coarse.
- Empty the cauli-rice into a mixing bowl, then add the olive oil, cumin, turmeric and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Mix the harissa with the extra virgin olive oil. Cut the tomatoes in half and toss in the harissa oil, then place into a small roasting dish.
- Next, toast the spices in a dry frying pan until fragrant. Place into a pestle and mortar with the walnuts and grind to medium/fine texture.
- Prepare the kale by removing any woody stems. Massage 2 tsp of olive oil into the leaves, making sure they all get an even coating, then sprinkle with 2 tsp of the walnut spice mixture.
- Tip the cauli-rice out onto two baking trays lined with parchment and roast in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Roast the tomatoes for 15 minutes.
- Lay the seasoned kale out on a flat tray lined with parchment and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Boil the eggs for 5 minutes (or a little longer if you like the yolk to be cooked through).
- Mix the chickpeas into the cauli-rice and spoon into two large bowls, then top with the kale and roasted tomatoes.
- Peel the eggs and roll into the walnut spice mix, then place on top to serve.
Serving: 1Half | Calories: 553kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.7g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 41.1g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Fibre: 12.4g | Sugar: 10.7g