Italian Bean Stew with California Walnut Dumplings
Servings 4 people
- 150 g day old wholemeal bread
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ 25g pack basil torn
- 80 g California Walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 medium egg beaten
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can borlotti beans drained and rinsed
- 400 g can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 300 ml low salt vegetable stock made with ½ stock cube
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Make the dumplings by tearing the bread into a food processor and add 1 clove garlic, half the basil and 50g walnuts, blitz to give a coarse crumb. Stir in the egg and mix to well combine. Roll into 8 balls.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion for 4-5 minutes, add the remaining garlic, chopped, and fry for a further 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, beans, stock and remaining basil and walnuts. Bring to the boil then transfer to a 2-litre serving dish. Add the dumplings, pressing them into the sauce slightly. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Serving: 348g | Calories: 446kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 2.6g | Fibre: 13g | Sugar: 11g
Back to Recipe Search
Cook’s tip To avoid wheat, try replacing the bread with gluten free brown bread. 1.6g salt per serving