Quick Portuguese Style Custard Tarts
- Butter for greasing
- 40 g custard powder
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 500 ml whole milk
- 50 g California Walnuts chopped
- 320 g pack ready rolled puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 220oC, gas mark 7. Butter a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Place the custard powder, sugar, ¼ tsp cinnamon and vanilla in a medium saucepan and blend in the egg yolks and milk. Gently heat until just boiling, stirring until thickened, stir in half the Walnuts and set aside.
- Cut the pastry in half and place 1 half on top of the other, sprinkle with ¼ tsp cinnamon and roll up tightly from the long edge like a Swiss roll. Cut this into 12 equal slices.
- Flatten each pastry round with the palm of your hand and roll out to a 10cm circle then press into the prepared tin. Fill each with the custard.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Allow to cool before removing from the tin and sprinkle with extra cinnamon and remaining Walnuts.
Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4.2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5.1g | Fibre: 1g | Sugar: 6g
Back to Recipe Search
Cooks tip Great served warm with a little cream.