Smoky California Walnut, Parsnip and Pear Soup
Soup is a simple and healthy option in the kitchen, particularly during winter. This recipe uses seasonal pears and parsnips in the creamy base of the soup, and smoky California walnuts to top.
Servings 4 people
For the soup:
- 500 g parsnip roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 pears peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- 600 ml milk
- 75 g California walnuts ground in the food processor
For the smoky walnuts:
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 50 g California walnuts
- 1 tbsp chopped chives and a drizzle of walnut oil to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the parsnips onto a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle over the thyme, season and toss everything together. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the smoky California walnuts. Whisk together the maple syrup, paprika and soy sauce and drizzle over the 50g of California walnuts, tossing to coat. Place onto a small baking tray and roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Leave to cool before chopping roughly.
- Next, place the onion and butter into a large saucepan over a medium heat and sauté until soft and translucent. Add the pear and continue cooking for a further 8-10 minutes.
- Add the parsnip and vegetable stock to the saucepan and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes with the lid on. Add the milk and blitz until smooth and silky. Stir in the ground California walnuts and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, then sprinkle with the smoky California walnuts and chopped chives, adding a final drizzle of walnut oil to serve.
Serving: 634g | Calories: 491kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.7g | Protein: 13.6g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 7.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15.9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7.5g | Trans Fat: 0.21g | Cholesterol: 16.8mg | Potassium: 1112mg | Fibre: 11.6g | Sugar: 28.4g
Back to Recipe Search
Salt: 2.4g. Serves 4-6 people.