Sticky Toffee & Walnut Cake
- 200 g pitted dates chopped
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125 g butter softened
- 200 g dark brown soft sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 250 g self raising flour
- 75 g California Walnuts finely chopped
Toffee & walnut sauce:
- 100 ml double cream
- 75 g dark brown soft sugar
- 50 g butter
- 50 g California Walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4. Grease and base line a 21cm cake tin.
- Place the dates and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl with 150ml boiling water and leave for 10 minutes. Blitz with a stick blender until smooth.
- Meanwhile, whisk the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, whisk in the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the date mixture followed but the flour and then the walnuts. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before removing from then tin.
- Place all the toffee and walnut sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and cook until bubbling and the butter has melted, allow to cool before spooning over the cake, allowing some to drizzle down the sides.
- This will keep for 2-3 days, great served warm with ice cream.
Serving: 136g | Calories: 539kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 7.9g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Fibre: 3.1g | Sugar: 38g