Toasted California Walnuts, Tuna and Pink Grapefruit Poke
This fresh and healthy dish brings a taste of Japan to the UK. Toasted California walnuts provide a tasty crunch that brings together the flavours and textures of this dish perfectly. This Instagram-worthy recipe is bound to be a hit with UK media and consumers alike, as fashionable Pokes continue to gain popularity.
- 130 g cucumber
- 150 g sushi rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ a tsp of wasabi paste
- 250 g fresh tuna cut into bite sized chunks
- ½ an avocado cubed
- 80 g California walnuts toasted
- 1 green chilli finely sliced and deseeded
- 1 pink grapefruit peeled and segmented with a sharp knife
- A handful of Asian micro herbs or rocket leaves
- Slice the cucumber into 5mm thick rounds, place in a sieve and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt to draw out the water.
- Wash the rice in a sieve under cold running water until the water runs clear. Cook over a high heat and once done, remove the rice from the pan.
- Whisk together the rice vinegar, mirin, sesame oil, soya sauce, caster sugar, lime juice and zest. In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and wasabi.
- Spoon the rice into two bowls. Top with the tuna, cucumber, avocado, toasted California walnuts, green chilli, grapefruit and micro herbs or leaves. Spoon over the lime dressing and add a dollop of mayonnaise to each plate to serve.
Serving: 548g | Calories: 1076kcal | Carbohydrates: 95g | Protein: 45.2g | Fat: 59g | Saturated Fat: 7.4g | Fibre: 6g | Sugar: 27.6g
Salt: 3.7g. Note from Home Economist: Walnuts are essential to this recipe, balancing all the other textures, without which this dish would have no “bite”. The nutty flavour of the California walnuts works extremely well against the acidity of the grapefruit, and alongside the delicate flavours of the tuna and avocado. By its nature, a poke bowl consists of sushi rice topped with raw fish and vegetables – the inclusion of California walnuts in this trendy dish prove how versatile this nut can be, whilst showcasing the creamy flavour.