California Walnut & Blueberry Scones with Blueberry Compote
Servings 10 scones
- 350 g self-raising brown flour plus extra for rolling
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tbsp caster sugar
- Zest 1 lemon plus 1 tbsp juice
- 85 g unsaturated spread such as Flora Buttery diced
- 50 g California Walnuts chopped
- 225 g blueberries
- 175 ml skimmed milk
- 1 medium egg beaten for glazing
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Fat free Greek yogurt to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl. Add the spread and rub in with your fingertips to give fine crumbs. Stir in half the walnuts and 50g roughly chopped blueberries. Add in the milk and bring together gently to form a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 4cm thick. Using a 6cm round cutter, cut out 10 scones, re-rolling the dough as necessary and place on the prepared tray, allowing enough space between them. Brush with a little egg and sprinkle over the remaining walnuts. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining blueberries, maple syrup and lemon juice in a small saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes until the blueberries are just beginning to break up. Allow to cool slightly.
- Serve the scones topped with Greek yogurt and a spoonful of compote.
Back to Recipe Search
Cook’s tip Make the compote in advance and serve with the warm scones. 1g salt per serving