Apple Walnut & Sultana Soda Bread
- 250 g plain flour
- 200 g wholemeal plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 50 g California Walnuts chopped
- 1 red apple grated
- 75 g sultanas
- 350 ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
- Place the flours, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix to combine. Reserve a small handful of the Walnuts and add the rest to the flour with the apple and sultanas.
- Stir in the buttermilk to form a rough dough and knead lightly to form a round. Place on a lightly floured baking tray and make a deep cross with a sharp knife. Scatter with the reserved Walnuts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Drizzle with the maple syrup to serve.
- Great to serve with cheese, soups or simply toasted with butter. Try grated pear instead of apple.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 9.1g | Fat: 5.6g | Saturated Fat: 0.8g | Fibre: 4.8g | Sugar: 13gBack to Recipe Search