Mexican Shepherds Pie
Servings 4 people
- 6 Sweet potatoes
- 140 grams California walnuts
- 200 grams Sliced chestnut brown mushrooms
- 2 Red onions chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 Red pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp Ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 400 grams Tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 200 ml Beer
- 20 grams Dark chocolate 70%
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander leaf
- Soak the California walnuts overnight in warm water.
- Drain well and place in a food processor with the sliced mushrooms.
- Pulse until you have a fine crumble texture.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 160c for 30 minutes or until soft in the middle.
- Add the chopped red onion and red pepper to a shallow pan with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Slice the garlic before adding to the pan.
- Sprinkle in the cumin and smoked paprika, then stir together.
- Add the walnut mince and pour in the beer, along with chopped tomatoes, puree and dark chocolate.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven and cut open to release the steam
- Remove the potato skins and chop the flesh with a knife until it looks like mash.
- Pour the chilli into an oven proof dish and scatter over the chopped coriander
- Top with the mashed sweet potatoes and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Bake in a hot oven 190c for 20 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden then serve.
Back to Recipe Search