Walnut Mince and Ale Pie
Servings 4 people
- 140 grams California walnuts
- 200 grams Sliced chestnut brown mushrooms
- 2 Medium White onions chopped
- 2 Sticks of celery chopped
- 1 Carrot peeled and chopped into small chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 200 ml Beer
- 1 pint Vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Corn flour mixed with 20ml water
- 700 grams Short crust pastry
- 2 tbsp Plant based milk
- Soak the California walnuts overnight in warm water.
- Drain well and place in a food processor with the sliced mushrooms.
- Pulse until you have a fine crumble texture.
- Pre heat a shallow frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil and add the onions, celery and carrots.
- Season with a little salt and pepper before cooking for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the beer and stock into the pan and continue to cook for 10 minutes to reduce and concentrate the flavour.
- Mix the corn flour with a little water to dissolve, then stir into the mixture to thicken.
- Once thickened, season to taste and remove from the heat.
- Roll out your pastry and line a pie dish with two thirds of the pastry.
- Brush the edges with milk and add the filling.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and top the pie.
- Press the edges and trim before crimping.
- Brush the top of the pie with the remaining milk and bake in a pre heated oven 170c for 30-40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Back to Recipe Search