#SimplyCracked Holiday Inspiration: Turkey
View of Istanbul, the Golden Horn Bay and the dome of the Hagia Sophia
Turkey is another country in the top 10 holiday destinations visited by the UK, so to get you ready for the summer season, we’re sharing a new recipe for you to try as well as some interesting facts.
When it comes to Turkish cuisine, did you know ….
- Turkish Delight, or lokum, is one of the oldest sweets in world history
- Although Turkey is famous for its coffee, 96% of the population drinks at least one cup of tea per day. Turkish tea is served in small tulip-shaped glasses called ince belli(literally “slim-waisted.)
- Commonly used ingredients in Turkish specialties include lamb, chicken, beef, fish, rice, eggplants, green peppers, onions, garlic, lentils, beans, zucchinis, chickpeas and tomatoes.
Other facts that you may not know…
- We may think if Tulips as Dutch, but they were actually introduced to Holland from Turkey in the 17th Century
- There are more than 30 ethnic languages in Turkey – although Turkish is the official language, more than 30 other languages are spoken regularly, including Arabic, Kurmanji and Zazaki
- One of the oldest (and largest) markets in the world, the Grand Bazaar has 64 streets and welcomes up to 400,000 visitors a day.
Now you know more about Turkey, there’s only one thing left to do …. transport your taste buds there by trying our new Turkish Bean Salad with Walnuts recipe.
If you’re looking for more holiday inspiration, check out our other blogs on Spain, France, Portugal and Italy!